DevOps Engineer Skills
DevOps is nothing but breaking down the traditional silos and designing a culture of collaboration between business, operations and development teams. With the help of culture, It also emphasizes the important aspect of automating any repetitive and error-prone tasks by using a spectrum of modern engineering tools. This blog will help you gain insights on the specific skill set one requires to master in this space. We need to keep one thing in mind when we talk about a “DevOps engineer“ is that it is not a role but a skill set that is required to be mastered by every software developer and not just operation folks. In this blog post we will discuss key DevOps engineering skills which makes you an expert in this space.
What are DevOps Engineer Skills?
Main purpose of using DevOps is to alter and develop the relationship between development and IT operations, advocating better communication and collaboration between the two units. Even it may seem somewhat simple, but there is much more required from a DevOps engineer for successful deployment of the code and binding the two units together successfully. it is from the basics of day to day skills required to cope with the pressures of DevOps, it comes technical skills each and every engineer must qualify, it is Apart from having a burning passion for scripting and coding, This DevOps engineers must be open-minded and collaborative to carry out the process successfully.
We have devised a list of all the qualities, which should be in the job description next time your company is hiring a DevOps engineer. Everyone is doing it, but few have mastered The Mirco Hering, Author of “DevOps for the Modern Enterprise”. They explicitly quote that nowadays all are adopting and working in DevOps way without knowing much more about the important concepts and skills required. But there are Only a few are doing it right, which started as a great idea that would end up becoming a mere buzz word when we don’t understand the Devops engineering skills.
Important Devops Engineer Skills:
Here are the list of devops engineer skills are:
- Linux Fundamentals And Scripting
- Knowledge On Various DevOps Tools And Technologies
- Continuous Integration And Continuous Delivery
- Infrastructure As Code
- Key concepts of DevOps
- Soft skills
- Security Skills
- Scripting Skills
- Infrastructure Knowledge
- Agile engineering
- Customer-first mindset
- DevOps key concepts
- Infrastructure as code
1. Linux Fundamentals And Scripting: It is an open-source operating system designed by Linus Torvalds in 1991. It has been no looking back since then. It is now the most preferred operating system in the world. It is also more secure, when compared to other operating systems such as windows. And Most of the organizations have their environment setup in Linux based systems. Most of the DevOps tools in the configuration management space such as Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc have their architecture based on Linux master nodes. Those tools help in provisioning and managing the infrastructure, which is automatically with the help of any scripting language such as Ruby, Python, etc. Its fundamentals and scripting know-how is a must to get us started with the infrastructure automation that is an essential concept in DevOps.
2. Knowledge On Various DevOps Tools And Technologies: It is implemented along with the help of tools but in most of the cases, It is often misunderstood as tools. We need to remember the great quote from Scott Hanselman that is “The most powerful tool we have as developers is automation.” The main aim of DevOps is to add value for the customer at an increased pace. And the Tools are selected to incorporate this purpose and never to be used for the sake of using it. The Technical knowledge of these tools is an added advantage for us to embrace the DevOps. These DevOps tools are categorized broadly into ten categories, they are as follows.
- Collaboration tools
- Application Life management and Issue Tracking tools
- Cloud/Iaas/Paas/Serverless tools
- Source control management tools
- Package Managers
- Continuous Integration and continuous delivery tools
- Continuous Testing tools
- Release orchestration tools
- Monitoring tools
- Analytics tools
Each of these categories provide us more than 10 tools, a right tool must be chosen in each of these categories that are based on the client needs and the project environment. the main point to remember is that the tool should add value to the user either by reducing delivery time or by increasing the quality of the deliverables.
3. Continuous Integration And Continuous Delivery: Better understanding of the continuous integration and continuous delivery approaches helps to deliver a product with high quality at a faster pace to the clients. Continuous integration is one of the best practices in DevOps Community where and whenever a developer finishes the functionality or a customer story they integrate the new code with the existing code base continuously. Which helps to save a lot of time spent during the integration phase of the project. This usually takes a couple of days.These delays could be avoided by the transfer and testing process of automating. creating the code ready for deployment with high speed.
The Continuous deployment is the next step in automating the delivery pipeline of an application. It is where the new code is deployed automatically in the production environment.
4. Infrastructure As Code: The Code of infrastructure is the latest best practice in the community of DevOps. It helps us to provision and manage the infrastructure by abstracting to a high-level language of programming. all the features of the source code could be applied to the infrastructure of the application such as version control, tracking, storing in repositories. He knows to develop infrastructure as code design is less error-prone, consistent and has reliable infrastructure.
5. Key concepts of DevOps: It is a culture where there the business, development, and operations teams collaborate breaking the traditional silos. An essential value is to design a cross-functional team which knows that each team member does and where any team member may take up the work of the other, offering a better collaboration within team members and to deliver a high-quality product for the users. Another important concept is automating everything, it is done to create a high-quality product for the users by reducing human defects.
6. Customer-first mindset: It is very helpful to emphasize on a customer-first mindset. The people who adopt DevOps should take decisions of keeping this in mind. There is No other activity that should be performed which does not add value for the user.
7. Flexibility: The Coding is an on-going process, ever changing and always requires updating. The engineer of DevOps must need to have flexible working skills and adapt to the changing code. Its integration, testing, releasing or deployment. The Continuous Integration, they are like the technical skills to manage change quickly and efficiently, as well as being able to work collaboratively in a team to guarantee everyone is working towards the same goal.
8. Security Skills: along with many other skilled areas security is also always of the utmost importance, mainly in coding. A simple way for hackers to get into systems is by using vulnerabilities, undermining the system, which is in place to get to the data. It brings a speed cycle of development and deployment of code, that means the vulnerabilities are at higher risk of being introduced to the code with high speed than they have ever been able to before.
The engineer of DevOps must have the security skills, while being employed because it is paramount to build-in secure software from the start of deployment, and opposed to adding it in later. When security is not in place from the outset then here is more chance that hackers could write in damaging code to the network. while during the process of recruiting to the next DevOps engineer, helps to ensure the security is on the top of the list of skills.
9. Collaboration: When it comes to the matter of a successful DevOps engineer, and their ability of performing as a one man band will not pass collaboration of muster is in fact the main to the DevOps concept.
11. Decision-making: a candidate of indecisiveness is not one, which we want for our business DevOps engineer. To become a successful candidate, he needs to have the ability to confidently and quickly make a decision in the hustle bustle environment a DevOps engineer works in. The ever changing nature of code brings the requirement for quick make for the decision on how to fix any incoherent elements of the code. Its Decisiveness must be an element to consider when employing a DevOps engineer, because making quick decisions provides engineers to maintain the ability for rapid development and deployment of new coding changes.
12. Infrastructure Knowledge: Scripting is just one of the important skills a developer should have, just ahead of cloud and infrastructure experience. The Engineers of DevOps should have an understanding of working for data components, which is a centre based and cloud infrastructure. It contains elements like how software is networked to running virtual networks. Lack of understanding the infrastructure it could prove somewhat difficult to be the full package DevOps engineer.
13. Soft Skills: Same as mentioned above, being a DevOps engineer is no one-man job, and in that case, other future employees must have soft skills as well as technical skills. It Bound on trust, DevOps culture used to enable all workers to be communicative and understanding of the process and if changes required to be made. While developers communicate with each other effectively, its applications may be delivered in a much shorter period of time than if some workers were absent from information. It is as fast as market deployment, having good communication will lead to fewer errors and therefore lower costs and improve the quality of code.
14. Collaboration: DevOps Active collaboration is an important skill needed by the team members. There should be transparency between the team members, and everyone should know what is happening in the team and who is responsible for a particular task.
15. Decision-making: DevOps Decisiveness and its decision-making is one of the essential elements employers look for in their employees. The ever-changing nature of the code in the team of DevOps should be handled by a person who is quick in taking decisions. For enabling the quick delivery and deployment of new code. Its faster deployments provide faster returns to the customer and provide immediate feedback from the end-users. It often leads to customer satisfaction.
16. Agile engineering: It was introduced in 2008 by Patrick Debois and Andrew Clay Shafer, and later a discussion about agile infrastructure. DevOps is heavily rooted in agile principles and values. It provides 4 agile values and 12 principles according to the Agile Manifesto. Each and Every DevOps practitioner requires an in-depth understanding of agile philosophies.
How DevOps Engineer Skills Helpful
In this fast paced environment the technologies and the systems are changing with high speed, DevOps engineers require different skills and have to learn them on the go. DevOps is One of the top skills that are a buzzword in today’s world. It means performing software development and operations of IT at one go, and These operations are performed by DevOps engineers and other members of teams they are like DevOps Architects, Operations Engineers, and Software Developers.
They must need to have different skills needed for their day-to-day work, these are both technical and soft skills needed for this position. Most of the organizations like Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, etc are now hiring DevOps engineers on a large scale. And Many medium and large organizations are also hiring for these positions.
This is seen by many like a sweet spot between Dev and Ops, it is a place where literally every tech role can go to land a good job along with a higher salary. The DevOps may be a tough nut to crack, and the DevOps skills which are critical to doing great professionally are not that much simple to come by, they should be gained and nurtured, When we are thinking about becoming a DevOps or when we want to hire a DevOps engineer to reinforce our IT-organization.
- Azure DevOps Tutorial
- DevOps Lifecycle
- DevOps Skills
- Python For DevOps
- DevOps Periodic Table
- DevOps Tutorial
- Azure Pipelines
- Continuous Delivery vs Continuous Deployment
- Chef vs Ansible
- DevOps Testing Tools
- Azure Data Factory Tutorial
- Linux Commands For Devops
- DevOps Prerequisites
- DevOps Tools
- How to Become a DevOps Engineer
- DevOps Certification
- What is Puppet in DevOps
- DevOps vs Agile
- DevOps Engineer Skills
- What is Azure DevOps
- Chef vs Puppet
- What Does a DevOps Engineer Do
- DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- Azure DevOps Certification
- Azure DevOps Interview Questions
- DevOps Interview Questions