What is Puppet in DevOps
Puppet is an open-source programming configuration management technology to deal with the foundation on physical or virtual machines. It is created utilizing Ruby that aids in overseeing complex foundations. It is a deployment device usually utilized on Windows and Linux to call the shots on various app servers immediately. Puppet accomplishes more than computerized system organization. It alters the human workflow, and empowers engineers and system executives to cooperate. Developers can compose, test, and dispatch applications without looking out for Ops staff to convey the assets required.
This tutorial will aid in knowing the building blocks of Puppet and how it functions in a framework environ. We will learn about what a puppet is, what is configuration management, its uses, how it works and the process it uses and mainly why puppet is used in DevOps.
What is Puppet?
Puppet is a cross-platform customer server based application utilized for configuration management. It handles the product and its designs on various servers. There are two adaptations accessible. One is open-source, the other is a business version. It chips away at both Windows and Linux platforms. It utilizes a revelatory way to deal with robotized updates, installments, and different undertakings. This component permits the software to arrange those frameworks utilizing documents called manifests. A manifest includes the guidelines for a team or sort of servers being controlled. The undertaking release includes other usefulness, like,
Gives access control dependent on jobs that permit assignments to be designated to a delegated team of admins.
It investigates framework metrics of efficiency and operability.
It gives event review utilizing journals to convey reports about hubs, classes, and assets changes. This element provides a basic image of what is happening on servers handled by Puppet as of now.
What is Configuration Management?
Configuration management is the method of keeping up and setting up the execution of the items by handling its actual abilities, utilitarian ascribes, plan, necessities, and operational data for the duration of its life cycle. The framework admins who will physically introduce, convey, and design an assortment of servers and gadgets for the apps to run, this is a redundant undertaking, exceptionally unpredictable, and inclined to mistakes. In this situation, we need to mechanize the method of arranging an assortment of servers and gadgets and make the framework's configuration quicker, less error inclined, and to do it effectively with some basic strategies. There are instruments, for example, Puppet, Ansible, and Chef. They are the devices for configuration management of frameworks and are utilized widely in the DevOps climate.
Components of Puppet
- Puppet agent: This is the server programming that is handled by the expert master.
- Facts: These are worldwide factors which include insights concerning every server, for example, network interfaces, OS, and so on. They are utilized to examine the present position of any node.
- Modules: Modules are a bunch of documents in a manifest, coordinated to encourage helpful usability.
- Manifests: These are documents in which asset information is put away. A manifest includes data about administrations, bundles, documents which should be checked and altered. Manifests have .pp augmentation.
- Master Puppet server: This server measures data associated with every specialist utilizing a configuration record and executes configurations and deployment on the specialists.
- Puppet classes: Classes utilize redundant code segments to put together it for expanded reading and comprehension as in in other programming dialects.
- Catalog: All configurations that are handled by Puppet are incorporated into an inventory. Afterward, these catalogues are utilized to design an objective framework.
- Resources: Resources in Puppet block code encoding are characterized by declaring assets where they denote parcels, clients, documents, or commands.
- Nodes: Nodes are the overseen servers that have the customer introduced.
Why use Puppet?
Configuration management keeps up and decides item qualities by saving physical and practical credits, plan, necessities, and operational data all through a server’s life cycle. Before, system managers regularly set up and arranged softwares and frameworks physically. In any case, when the quantity of servers that should have been handled expanded quickly, instruments were needed to computerize those methods, save the time taken, and increment exactness. Puppet is a software that achieves these aspects.
How does Puppet work?
Puppet utilizes the declarative Domain Specific Language (DSL) to characterize the configuration ascribes to the framework or explicit climate. It utilizes a utility called facter to discover the data about the frameworks. The puppet master utilizes the framework called manifest to command and deal with the hubs with the configuration data. The nodes are only servers or foundations that have puppet specialists/agents or daemon introduced in them and the master handles the nodes. The configuration data of every hub is gathered by the puppet specialist and shipped off the puppet master. The master at that point gathers the index on how every node should be designed. Every hub applies the arrangement and updates itself. The agent functions utilizing the force administration routinely by pulling the data from the puppet master on the site-explicit setup and the node explicit design. The puppet specialist is ordinarily operated in the foundation of the nodes. The 5 steps on which the infrastructure is handled by Puppet Master and Puppet agents,
- The node operating the puppet agents utilizes the force data and surveys the master. The node gathers data about itself utilizing current realities.
- These facts are shipped off the puppet master by the specialist
- The puppet master orders an index on how the node should be designed
- The Master sends the list to the specialist.
- The agent configures itself and reports back to the master.
Why is Puppet Used in DevOps?
DevOps life cycle has numerous devices to operate with and gives numerous benefits, for example, configuration management, mistake free, less iterative, quicker life cycle, more prominent administration of the SDLC, saves time, continuous deployment and continuous integration, and so forth. The DevOps tools are given below,
- Cloud Services - AWS, Azure, Cloud foundry, OpenShift, and GCP
- Configuration Management tools - puppet, Ansible, chef
- Monitoring Tools - Google Analytics, Nagios, Logstash, Prometheus
- Artifact Managing tools - Nexus, NPM, JFrog Artifactory
- Database Management Tools - MongoDB, MySQL, Liquibase
- Testing Tool - SonarQube, Selenium, Katalon, Pytest
- Build tools - Maven, Ant, MS Build, Gradle
- Deployment tools - XLDeploy, Octopus Deploy, Juju
- Orchestration tools - Nomad, Kubernetes, Docker
- Continuous integration tools- Bamboo, Jenkins, CircleCI, TeamCity
The puppet is a framework management device that aids in computerizing and incorporating the configuration management method. It is additionally utilized for programming deployment. It is accessible in open source and business variants. It aids in servers’ deployment, servers configuration management, and arrangements of different applications across a ton of framework in the organization. Puppet executes the given functions:
- It constantly screens the server for the setups and if the configurations are modified it naturally changes to a pre-characterized configuration on the hosts.
- It permits us to do isolated configurations for each host.
- It is additionally utilized as a programmed deployment device for all the applications on the servers.
- It has authority over a ton of framework so the unified configurations get affected in every one of the foundations.
- It actualizes Infrastructure as a Code, the strategies and configurations are composed as a code.
Advantages of Puppet
- Puppet saves time by speeding up.
- In contrast to different tools, it stays informed concerning configuration changes at customary stretches, that expands security.
- It utilizes a simple to learn language called DSL (or Domain Specific Language) to oversee host arrangements.
- It awards DevOps administrators the capacity to make special configurations for each host and formats and setup formats for numerous hosts.
- Puppet is a cheap method for tackling configuration bottlenecks and speed delays.
- It effectively coordinates with different devices and foundations.
Puppet applies a continuous delivery model to the product discharge cycle via mechanizing tasks and deployment work processes. Framework admin undertakings are maintained as modules and manifests. These are reusable setup development blocks to expediently make pre configured servers. Puppet has wide industry upholds across the cloud and DevOps environment. It functions with pretty much every server field in the industry.
- Azure DevOps Tutorial
- DevOps Lifecycle
- DevOps Skills
- Python For DevOps
- DevOps Periodic Table
- DevOps Tutorial
- Azure Pipelines
- Continuous Delivery vs Continuous Deployment
- Chef vs Ansible
- DevOps Testing Tools
- Azure Data Factory Tutorial
- Linux Commands For Devops
- DevOps Prerequisites
- DevOps Tools
- How to Become a DevOps Engineer
- DevOps Certification
- What is Puppet in DevOps
- DevOps vs Agile
- DevOps Engineer Skills
- What is Azure DevOps
- Chef vs Puppet
- What Does a DevOps Engineer Do
- DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- Azure DevOps Certification
- Azure DevOps Interview Questions
- DevOps Interview Questions