It is the combination of practices and tools that are designed to increase an organization’s ability of delivering the applications and services with higher speed than traditional software development processes. And the speed enables businesses to better serve their customers and compete more effectively in the market.
What is DevOps?
DevOps is all about removing the obstacles between traditionally siloed teams, development, operations, etc. A DevOps model, development and teams of operations work together across the complete application life cycle of software, from development and test by the deployment to operations. The Speed and practices of DevOps let us move at the velocity that we need to innovate faster, and adapt to changing markets better, which become more efficient at driving business results. The Rapid delivery, while we increase the pace of releases, we may improve our product with high speed and build competitive advantage.
Its Reliability helps DevOps practices such as continuous integration and continuous delivery, that may ensure the quality of application updates and the changes of infrastructure, then we may reliably transfer at a more rapid pace, during the process of maintaining an optimum experience for end users. DevOps maintains Improved collaboration, with the help of a DevOps model, developers share responsibilities, combine their workflows,operations teams collaborate closely, etc. which can decrease the inefficiencies and saves time.
Why is DevOps?
DevOps helps for Faster Innovation, while the development and operations teams are in separate silos, generally it is difficult to tell if an application is ready for operations. teams of the development simply turn over an application, then the operations’ cycle times are extended needlessly. By a combined development and operations team, applications are ready for use much more speedly. This is the essential thing, as companies succeed, which are based on their ability of innovating more speedly than their competitors do. Kevin Murphy from Red Hat calculates that shorter development cycles translate to bringing an application for market 60 percent faster than with traditional approaches.
It Reduce the Deployment Failures, and the Time to Recover and Rollbacks. It works as a Part of the reason teams experience deployment failures because of programming defects. And the shorter development cycles with DevOps promote more frequent code releases. Even DevOps, in turn, made it simple to spot the code defects. And then those teams can reduce the number of failures in deployment by using agile programming principles, which call for collaboration and modular programming. The DevOps Rollbacks are in the same way simple to manage because, when necessary, but only some modules are affected. The recovery time is an essential issue, because some failure has to be expected. The recovery is much faster when the development and operations teams have been working together, exchanging ideas and accounting for both teams’ challenges during development.
DevOps improves the software development culture and is used to Combine teams that are happier and more productive. Its culture becomes focused on performance Instead of individual goals. While the teams trust each other, they may experiment and innovate more effectively. DevOps teams may focus on getting the product to market or into production, and their KPIs should be structured accordingly. it is no longer a matter of “turning over” the application, that is for operations and waiting to see what happens. DevOps Operations doesn’t need to wait for a different team to troubleshoot and fix a problem. This whole process turns increasingly seamless, that all individuals work toward a common goal.
It Increases Efficiencies of organizations, the Increased efficiency helps to speed the development process and make it less prone to error. And There are ways to automate DevOps tasks, its Continuous integration servers automate the process of testing code, which reduces the amount of manual work needed, that means that software engineers may focus on completing tasks that can’t be automated. The tools that are accelerated are another opportunity for increasing efficiency. Scalable infrastructures, they are like cloud-based platforms, increase the access the team has to hardware resources.
The result of testing and deployment operations get sped up. DevOps helps to Build acceleration tools, which can be used to compile code more quickly. And the Parallel workflows can be embedded into the continuous delivery chain that allows delays, one team waits for another to complete its work. Through Using one environment DevOps can avoid the useless task of delivering the data between environments. Which means we don’t have to use one environment for development, a different environment for testing, and a third for deployment. It helped to Reduce Costs and IT Headcount, and All of the benefits of DevOps are translate to decrease the overall costs and the needs of IT headcount, as Kevin Murphy said that, this is from Red Hat, It's teams of deployment need 35 percent less IT staff, and also 30 percent lower IT costs.
The business has spoken, and it’s implementing DevOps at a rapid rate. Business organizations are very interested to take advantage of faster application delivery, which is used to enhance innovation, and more stable operating environments, and performance-focused employee teams. If we want to make DevOps work for our businesses, we need a partner, that person who may help us to realize the benefits. Our team of open source DevOps experts may help us to speed up application development and give us greater visibility and control across your applications, servers, and services. Using open-source DevOps tools, we can take the power back from our proprietary IT vendors. And DevOps technologies and consulting services provide us freedom and flexibility, then we may scale our business and choose where we can invest our resources
Prerequisites for DevOps Lifecycle
- Containers Understanding
- Understanding the DevOps Tools and Technologies
- Knowledge of Scripting Languages
- DevOps Training and Certification
- Knowledge of Automation Tools
- Excellent Collaboration and Communication Skills
- Knowledge of Networking fundamentals
- Overall Computer Science Knowledge
- Logical Attitude
1. Containers Understanding: These Containers provide an added advantage over the traditional method of virtualization of hardware. They Generally virtualize the operating system, but not the hardware so that the virtualized environments are highly scalable and lightweight.
the orchestration systems of containers like Kubernetes function on top of containers, that is used to completely automate the infrastructure provisioning process. And each and every DevOps engineer must have its technology, such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Vagrant, in their resume. They have changed the way applications are deployed and shipped, and they are able to deliver targeted environments accurately for developers to build within.
2. Understanding the DevOps Tools and Technologies: The methodology of DevOps is implemented with a group of tools with various functionalities, such as automation, continuous integration,configuration management, build, code repository, and containerization. Its guy must at least know one tool from each domain, then that the functionality is realised.
Ideally, I need to know all the tools, which are common in the market. For management configuration Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc. are the critical players. To design the CI/CD pipeline, it’s Jenkins, and to container technology, it’s Vagrant, Kubernetes, Docker, etc. And for logging and monitoring, Splunk, Nagios, zabbix, ELK, etc. stack play their roles best.
3. Knowledge of Scripting Languages: The engineers of DevOps must need good experience in common scripting languages such as, Perl, Java, and Python. And Most of the DevOps tools need some level of scripting for automation of things to the highest standard. As Ansible uses a YAML scripting language to automate, that is primarily based on Python. And the YAML is used for creating a complete automation workflow within a configuration management tool.
4. DevOps Training and Certification: This is One of the prerequisites for a DevOps engineer, it is to have a certification of DevOps, Training and certification as a professional DevOps give an edge over others in the market. Basically, it's best to have various kinds of certifications, one from each set of tools. For example, from the configuration management set, we may go for a “Puppet Certified Professional,” and we may go for a Certified Kubernetes Administrator from the containerization set.
DevOps certifications price us somewhere nearly 200 to 600 USD, but investing it on yourself is worth it. Its certifications may be taken even without actual training, as it’s always recommended for taking up the training as we get some excellent hands on knowledge.
5. Knowledge of Automation Tools: The knowledge of Automation is the bottom-line of the framework of DevOps, the DevOps engineer must need to be skilled in handling automation at any layer, from development to testing to deployment. And the Most of these automation tools need some level of scripting, the scripting knowledge is also essential.
a professional of DevOps must have an excellent hands-on experience on the Infrastructure of DevOps as a Code framework, that is basically automation around the provisioning of infrastructure by using the configuration management and containerization technologies. They must also need to have a good grasp of tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, Docker,Bamboo, TeamCity, and vagrant.
6. Testing: The professional of DevOps is the reason for the proper implementation of the quality assurance and the procedures at all levels. Then a sound knowledge of various testing tools in the market is a requirement for getting started with DevOps. This also enables them to identify any issues or bugs at any stage throughout the software delivery process.
7. Excellent Collaboration and Communication Skills: its engineer is known to form the bridge between development teams and IT operations, that are like making communication and collaboration skills the DevOps prerequisites. The Communication skills help to avoid misinterpretations, which enables a high-performance environment for teams to function. Its sound DevOps engineer must be a good learner, collaborator, coordinator both in the cloud infrastructure and real life.
8. Knowledge of Networking fundamentals: cloud building environments and containerized application need us to have a basic knowledge of networking. Its Networking helps for integration and the edge services, which are deployed on different containers and virtual machines. It is also used for the final developments of the software and the related services for the shipped and deployed onto the client’s environment, and a good knowledge of networking is important.
9. Overall Computer Science Knowledge: The engineers of DevOps are going to interact with software development teams, the IT operations team and testing teams Generally, as such, its engineer must need to have at least the basic knowledge of almost all the concepts of computer science,Which includes algorithms, networking, cloud and data science. It's basic wholesome knowledge that enables excellent communication between DevOps engineers and all other teams.
10. Logical Attitude: They sometimes need to make spontaneous decisions for smooth functioning in the team. DevOps engineers are known to fill the gap between developers and IT operations, communication and collaboration, which become the key. And the engineers of DevOps thus need to carry a sound rationale and logical attitude throughout.
and they must also exhibit the aura and energy during the meetings and other communication channels, various companies, management and leadership would consider the DevOps lead, like the go-to person for all production issues. Its professionals must thus live up to these expectations.
11. Passion: They expected to be passionate regarding the work, which is doing, and that work with passion is the ultimate key for success in any other career path. And It is one of the crucial DevOps prerequisites, which should never be overlooked.
It is the new buzzword in the IT Organizations, it has a set of processes which bridge the gap between software development and its teams. It has a massive demand in the market as DevOps can bring speed and accuracy in software development. It is a traditional development and operations were considered separate, DevOps has brought forth a strong alliance between different teams of DevOps. Its methodology emphasizes automation, that there is more bandwidth for communication and and for collaboration between the development, testing, and operations teams. today they have a very crucial role to play in the businesses that are adopting DevOps practices, and they are expected to be highly skilled in the DevOps framework, the underlying philosophy, and tools used for the same.
- Azure DevOps Tutorial
- DevOps Lifecycle
- DevOps Skills
- Python For DevOps
- DevOps Periodic Table
- DevOps Tutorial
- Azure Pipelines
- Continuous Delivery vs Continuous Deployment
- Chef vs Ansible
- DevOps Testing Tools
- Azure Data Factory Tutorial
- Linux Commands For Devops
- DevOps Prerequisites
- DevOps Tools
- How to Become a DevOps Engineer
- DevOps Certification
- What is Puppet in DevOps
- DevOps vs Agile
- DevOps Engineer Skills
- What is Azure DevOps
- Chef vs Puppet
- What Does a DevOps Engineer Do
- DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities